Saturday 19 October 2013

A little bit of luck.

As I mentioned in my first post, I've recently left my job. Prior to that, I've probably worked every Saturday, bar about three, since I was sixteen. I'm still getting used to having weekdays and weekends be different things again so in celebration, I decided to do what most other people do on a Saturday - shop! 

One of my favourite charity shops is Barnardo's in Droylsden which is just about walking distance from my flat. If you're a charity shop fan, you may have noticed the clever strategy which Barnardo's have adopted; in some stores, items are a fixed price. I mentioned the shop in Cheadle in a previous post where everything is £1.99 - well, Droylsden have gone one better - everything is 99p. The shop is essentially a big warehouse which, I think, stores out-of-season stock for other Manchester Bardnardo's branches, with a relatively small sales floor. The stock there is unusual. I've worked extensively in charity shops before and much of it wouldn't pass most charity shop's sorting spec ie. it's got marks on or is bobbly. It's not everyone's cup of tea to have to root through to find a gem but it's what I love in these types of shop. Many of the garments I've bought from there just need a wash and they're perfect but other shops would have thrown them out. Personally, I think Barnardo's are onto a great thing selling these items for rock-bottom prices and only once have I walked out without a purchase.

Here's what I bought today:

Limited Collection at Marks & Spencer part-mohair jumper
Topshop Leigh jeans
I couldn't decide on this coat at first. The inside of the hood was a little grubby but for 99p, I chanced that it would come up clean in the wash.


This is the bizarre purchase of the day. I got held up at the till by a lady trying to squeeze a huge nativity scene into a tiny bag and this little chap was in a box with about twenty of his clown-friends. I don't know what I'm going to do with him or where he's going to go but I felt a bit sorry for him and he's so unusual, I just had to have him. 

On the way back, I discovered a new shop called C.O.T.E which is a community association shop. It was absolutely full to bursting with really good value bric-a-brac. I bought this little silver crown plate and small cake stand, along with a blue tassle-detail jumper.


What do you think of my purchases? Leave me a comment or drop me an email. 

No comments:

Post a Comment